Suite 1900 • Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
(414) 272-5632 | (414.)272-7918 (fax)
10 Things Divorce Attorneys Won’t Say: “I’ve Only Handled a Couple of Divorce Cases”
June 25, 2012
Smart Money magazine recently ran an article entitled “10 Things Divorce Attorneys Won’t Say.” So far, I’ve covered 1, 2, 3 and 4 in previous posts. Here’s #5:
“I’ve only handled a couple of divorce cases. Ever.“
Of course, this one doesn’t apply to me, but what amazes me is how infrequently clients ever ask me the following questions:
- What percentage of your practice is divorce?
- How long has that been the case?
- Are you certified by any organization as a specialist?
- Have you ever handled a case with issues like mine?
- What is your rate of settlement vs. trial?
- Do you have litigation experience?
- Do you have any training or experience as a mediator or other settlement methods?
If I met with a doctor for a medical problem, those are the questions I’d be asking! Yet, typically, the questions I get asked are the following:
- What is your retainer?
- What is your hourly rate?
- Do you do flat fee billing?
For cases with minimal assets, those questions are fine. But, for cases with a lot at stake or complex issues, a potential client should be less interested in cost and more interested in the skill and experience of the lawyer.