Suite 1900 • Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
(414) 272-5632 | (414.)272-7918 (fax)
Complex Valuations in Divorces
If you are getting divorced and you, or your spouse, own a business, the value of that business will need to be considered in the division of property.
Loeb & Herman has substantial experience in divorce cases involving business ownership, including the following areas of complexity:
- A claim that all or part of the business was acquired either by inheritance or gift
- Substantial appreciation following inheritance or gift of a business interest
- The value of the business far outstripping all other assets making equalization difficult
- Key man discount, professional, personal and goodwill issues
- Effects of buy/sell agreements
- Different methodologies of valuing a business
- Tax effects and consequences
In most cases where a valuation is necessary, we attempt to cooperate with the other side to have a joint valuation — not only saving the money of two appraisers, but substantially reducing the likelihood of litigation. However, even in such instances, the choice of the appraiser and the methodology utilized can be of the highest degree of importance.
At Loeb & Herman, S.C., we have experience in dealing with all of these issues – and more – in an effort to achieve an equitable result for all involved.